Skip to main content

WHEN IN THE SHADOWS BRING LIGHT

Light is not nice, it is not polite, light is good. 

Over the last few months I have seen and experienced so much horror, and all of it is was because our culture of niceness and politeness allow shadows to exist until darkness takes over completely...when we see the dark, we reel in horror, but most of us have an ability to bring light to the shadow before it turns into complete darkness, more so than we have an ability restore after darkness has settled in. 

Cases like the one of 16 children in Ohio, the Lindsey Clansey case, and the Cornell 7 case were all cases where darkness was settling in, and many had opportunities to bring light to those shadows and chose not to. Because our culture doesn't bring light, darkness finally took over. I don't know how we change this, but hope that you will allow me to process with you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I CAN'T PASS JUDGMENT ANYMORE

I know all of my friends are loving the ease and convenience of carrying books around on a Kindle, or whatever the gadget of the day is, but this move to electronic reading is really affecting my ability to judge others, yes, you heard me right-judging others is now difficult. It used to be that I could sit on the train and just by watching book covers, and their respective readers, I would get an idea of what books I might like. Now, everyone has a kindle and I can't really derive reading recommendations without appearing to be a stalker. But worse than that, new friendships are severely affected. I used to be able to walk into someone's house and look at their bookcase and know whether I should run the other way-now, the non-visibility of books makes identifying incompatibility so much more difficult. For example, if someone were to walk into my house, this is what they might see:   You would be correct in making quite a few assumptions about me based on this ...

THE TYRANNY OF THE GOOD MAN: UNSOLICITED ADVICE TO YOUNG WOMEN ON CHOOSING A PARTNER

I have been hesitant to share this thought. In some ways it reveals my naivete about past relationships, fears I have of future ones and weakness in relationships all around, However, I have had so many similar conversations with women of all ages, that I thought I would just publicize the idea however underdeveloped, because there is a young woman out there making a life decision right now and may be making the same mistake women have been making for millenia.  The idea first came when I told my aunt that I felt weird not being angry at my ex-husband. Everyone wanted me to hate him, but to me he was a "good man" and I couldn't hate him, to which she quickly replied that was the problem. I asked her to explain further. She said something to the effect of: "Look around, we are surrounded by bad men, now I know you love your uncles and cousins, but would you want to date any of them?" I briefly thought about it-the uncle who chased his wife with a machete for...

HOME WHEN LIFE IS MIGRATION

I often write about my experiences as an immigrant; a series of moments of flux and transition, amusement and discord, complete openness and heavy walls. There is very little that is fixed. As I grow older though, the notion of "home" becomes stronger and stronger, increasingly fixed and solid in some ways but geographically unstable and dispersed. As I grow older and older my pangs of homesickness are sharper-every once in a while I sit and can't stop myself from yearning for people and places that have nothing to do with each other. I now understand that stare my mom has when she is enjoying a very fresh and ripe fruit-she is here eating the fruit, but she is also "there" enjoying it. When I was young it would get on my nerves to see her disappear, but now, I respect her brief moment of meditation on time,  place and belonging. So when I say I am homesick-its not in quite the same way people who are born and raised in the same place speak of homesickness...