Skip to main content

HOME WHEN LIFE IS MIGRATION

I often write about my experiences as an immigrant; a series of moments of flux and transition, amusement and discord, complete openness and heavy walls. There is very little that is fixed.

As I grow older though, the notion of "home" becomes stronger and stronger, increasingly fixed and solid in some ways but geographically unstable and dispersed.

As I grow older and older my pangs of homesickness are sharper-every once in a while I sit and can't stop myself from yearning for people and places that have nothing to do with each other. I now understand that stare my mom has when she is enjoying a very fresh and ripe fruit-she is here eating the fruit, but she is also "there" enjoying it. When I was young it would get on my nerves to see her disappear, but now, I respect her brief moment of meditation on time,  place and belonging.

So when I say I am homesick-its not in quite the same way people who are born and raised in the same place speak of homesickness or think of home. Home is an emotional place, a place where you belong, a moment of unconditional love, an experience of connection. So when I say I am missing home it could mean any one of these things or all at the same time:

The smell of grape freshly picked in Eastern Washington or the smell of grape soda for a birthday party in Ciudad Guayana (yes, they smell the same)

Sitting on a rock on the farm, hiding from the heat AND my annoying brothers

Showering in the rain

Cleaning up horse manure before riding your horse

The smell of lemongrass

Staring at the night sky in the Palouse

Learning to bake apple pie because your client decided to pay you in what might as well be a bushel of apples

Sharing stories and laughing even though you don't speak the same language

Knowing that when someone calls me a turtle its not an insult-whether they do so in Venezuela or San Antonio

Knowing when there are or aren't crocodiles in the water

A cry-I can't explain it-Americans don't do this-but spend time in Latin America, the Middle East and you'll hear someone scream, usually a man, like he is releasing all the weight he is carrying into the universe, sometimes its all the joy

My dad picking me up from school and asking me what I learned-knowing the answer will always be "nothing"

Being offered the little someone has: the farmworker's last hot dog, the Appalachian's only chair to sit on, the Thai fisherman's only fish

Spending ours entertained because one of your cousins left a door open and between the collective imaginations of several young kids, the mistake became a Criminal Minds plot which ended with your uncle closing the door sending you to sleep

Creating ghosts out of bedsheets when the power goes out and there is a thunder storm at night


Burning your hands by touching your hair

...and even knowing you'll be pulled over the moment you cross into Hamilton or Lebanon Counties

The list is not exhaustive-but the pull is strong and it gets stronger the older I get. I miss home a lot these days, but I am not sure I know where that is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS: DE-ROMANTICIZING AMERICAN INSTITUTIONS

Historic marker and courthouse where the Scottsboro Trials were conducted I came to the United States as an overachieving teenager. I spent my first summer trying to catch up on all that was American History. I knew I would get along in Math and Sciences, but social studies and history would be what would take me from teacher's pet to just meh. I read voraciously. My concerns over history are obvious; I would be behind my classmates by years. Social Studies was a different beast. My country was known for its corruption, and the U.S. was known for the integrity of its institutions. American institutions were so strong and incorruptible, it gave the entire country free reign to advise and intervene in the governance of other countries, whether or not by invitation. I was excited to learn about this way, maybe I could figure out how to take it home one day. I read every word on every page in every textbook;  I thought books in the U.S were laid out the way ours were. In th

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: AMERICAN FLAVORED APARTHEID

I remember being a young adult and cramming into a van with 26 other people: this van was designed to hold only nine. Had I been wealthier, I could have gotten on a nicer and safer bus, but I was not wealthy and had to get home ASAP. I hated my country for things like that and loved America because America had nice buses, no overcrowded bus. I had been on American buses and trains while on vacation and they felt glamorous compared to what I had to get on on a regular basis. Years later, I would move to America. I would depend on public transportation to get to work, school and leisure. I lived at the border between a wealthy area and modest one, lucky enough to have been assigned to the wealthier neighborhood's school system. It turns out, PT in America was not that glamorous. The fleets were nicer, but the routes and expense couldn't get me to where I WANTED to be. They were good enough to get me to where OTHERS wanted me to be. I have since moved around and lived all ov

I CAN'T PASS JUDGMENT ANYMORE

I know all of my friends are loving the ease and convenience of carrying books around on a Kindle, or whatever the gadget of the day is, but this move to electronic reading is really affecting my ability to judge others, yes, you heard me right-judging others is now difficult. It used to be that I could sit on the train and just by watching book covers, and their respective readers, I would get an idea of what books I might like. Now, everyone has a kindle and I can't really derive reading recommendations without appearing to be a stalker. But worse than that, new friendships are severely affected. I used to be able to walk into someone's house and look at their bookcase and know whether I should run the other way-now, the non-visibility of books makes identifying incompatibility so much more difficult. For example, if someone were to walk into my house, this is what they might see:   You would be correct in making quite a few assumptions about me based on this random